Sunday 9 December 2007

Home Sweet Home

It took a little longer getting home today than we were expecting; the registrar wanted me in for the results of my full blood count, the pharmacist wanted me in for the delivery of my discharge medications, the nurses wanted me in to go over what I should take and when. In the end, mum was allowed to drive me home at about three o'clock, just in time to catch the football traffic. Oh well, I got home eventually.

They've really worked hard to tidy the house up, in my absence; we have a rather stylish red wooden christmas tree from Habitat rather than the dust-and-germs magnet of a real tree, and the attic bedroom has been cleared out for my stay. Mum and dad will be sleeping in my considerably messier room, for the duration.

Climbing the stairs to the attic is quite hard work, for me. I never really appreciated how much I've wasted away in five weeks of lounging around the place; it's quite shocking, in fact. I can get up and down easily enough, one step at a time, but... well, it's a lot more work than I remember. I risked the arduous climb down, though, soon after I arrived, in order to make myself some toasted cheese; the first food I've made myself in over a month, now, and a really nice change from hospital toast.

After this, I retired to my citadel and enjoyed the benefits of a real live wired-in internet connection. After a month of 3G's lag and temperamentality, it really is a treat to be able to click a link and know that it's going to work first time. It'll be hard going back, but I suppose I'll manage.

Gran came up to visit at dinner time, along with my aunts from down the road; they headed off quite quickly, but gran stuck around while mum and dad took Gabriel and Rachel (his girlfriend) to see the final performance of this year's Gang Show. Madeleine, as it turned out, neglected to get tickets sorted out for her friends, so mum and dad gave up their seats and let Gabriel and Rachel take care of the youngsters. I suppose dad'll have to watch the DVD with me later on; I'm sure he didn't mind missing the live show too much.

Anyway, we had a huge fish supper for dinner, from the relatively hygienic chippy up the road; I've not eaten so well in forever. I had a little nap afterwards, and spent the rest of the day relaxing in a bed with a duvet. It's quite late, now, and I'll need to get up quite early tomorrow to get into hospital for my bloods. There's quite a lot of excitement planned for Sunday, so I'd best get my sleep.

1 comment:

LindyLoo said...

Hi Simon... cousin Linda in Perth . Been keeping up with how it's going for you and really happy to know your home for a spell. Down in Glasgow on Sat to see my mum so updated her on your progress. She can't quite get the blog thing and a couple of times asked be if it was a block!! She's a bit older than your gran so you get the picture! Talking of pictures and re classic movies -Powell & Pressburger's "I know where I'm going" is a goodie ... creaky but brilliant. Lx