Sunday 2 December 2007

Bit bored now

I had no treatments tests or anything interesting done to me today, and only a quick head-in-the-door from the doctor. I also didn't seem to have anything like the latent boost from yesterday's blood that I'd been hoping for, and didn't feel like doing anything much productive. I did try to do some work on my aunt's site, but I got mired trying to sort out the ImageMagick library (needed for image resizing and so on) to work with Rails on my Mac; it now looks like I'll need to wait until I can install linux on this machine, before I can sign off on the task. Oh well.

I got through Vernon God Little, as I mentioned yesterday, and today planned to get started on The Fall of America a little book of Alan Ginsberg poetry which my sister's godfather (and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma survivor) Michael Clancy brought me back from his Thanksgiving holiday. However, I've never really read poetry before and I'm not sure quite how to approach it, so I decided to put it aside for now and started on John Banville's The Sea. Banville seems to know an awful lot of obscure words.

Apart from that, today, I watched some Heroes, played through the start of Avernum 5, slept for an hour while mum was up after lunch, was too lazy to write out Christmas cards, took my sleeping pill. Good night.

4 comments:

liz said...

Hi Simon I work with your dad and just wanted to say enjoying reading your blog. Keep it up and You are in my prayers and my children pray for you at night also. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.
Liz Egan

michie said...

Hey Si, Give me or one of the boys a shout if we can help the boredom in any way. I'm missing you in physics, especially as james and ewan never go to lectures, and we've definitely never won best team name at either quiz since you left. Still praying for you along with a fair few other people apparently!

michelle

Unknown said...

Fall of America's awesome. Anything by Ginsberg is particularly great, really. I wouldn't set it aside for too long. I know you probably haven't really acquainted yourself with poetry, but Ginsberg isn't your run-of-the-mill, structured Lord Byron type. He had a very particular style, but it's fun to read.

euan said...

Simon

If you want to know what's really boring ask your dad to let you have a look at the books and records he's asked me to look at. It's not War and Peace and it's not Homer.

Thinking about you all the time. All the best.

Eugene