Tuesday 20 November 2007

Tuesday

Michelle from CLIC came for another little visit today, and so happened to turn up while my dad was here. We talked for a while about the different ways 'grown-ups' and young adults take news like cancer; apparently my laid-back attitude isn't so unusual amongst patients in my age group, and apparently being worried sick is just about par for the parents. I suppose it's reasonable that parents, people who are used to rising to their childrens' problems, would find the feeling of helplessness distressing when faced with this sort of thing. Oh well. I suggested mum might like to talk to Michelle, too, so she put off pencilling in our next meeting until an appropriate time could be arranged.

Apart from that, today was pretty quiet. I did a little bit of programming and faffing about on the computer, finished a couple of the games of chess I've been playing online with my uncle and Uni friends (won one!), downloaded some telly to be burned to DVD and brought in for me. I was also weighed for the first time almost since I was admitted, and found with some dismay that I'd managed to shed about 14kg in two weeks. The nurses were also a little surprised at this, but I'll wait for Dr Tansy's opinion before I panic too much; 2.2kg can be accounted for from my effusions, and my spleen has really slimmed down since I got on the chemo. In the end, I'm only about a stone lighter than I was healthy. Anyway, immediate result: two dinners! I'll see a dietician tomorrow, no doubt I'll be bulking up on the protein shakes by Friday.

As for the status of this blog, now that I'm up-to-date: I really could spend another thousand words recapping the little bits and pieces of last week, but I won't. From now on, I'll try to keep to short little daily posts like this one; the events will be fewer and more mundane, but at least I'll be able to go to sleep a bit earlier :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Simon
News of your blog has spread downunder. You certainly write exceptionally well.
We send you our best wishes for a speedy recovery.
We will keep reading your blog.
Kathleen and David (from Oz).