Wednesday 21 November 2007

The Gorging

Well, it turns out that dropping a stone in a fortnight is cause for doctorly concern; they like to be able to intervene at around about 5% mass loss, rather than the twelve-ish points I've dropped. It is with heavy stomach, therefore, that I report on the first day of the Great Crash Anti-Diet 2007: I've been prescribed four meals a day, plus a meal-size snack, in addition to one thousand calories of sugar-and-protein milkshake. Oh, yeah, and it'd be great if I could get a couple of desserts down me too, if I can manage. Total food tally for today: toast for breakfast, macaroni cheese and chips plus an aloo saag and rice for lunch, veggie lasagne plus soup and a roll for dinner, three milkshakes in between meals, and a couple of satsumas. I'll be meeting with the dietician again on Monday, by which point things will have started to turn around.

In addition to today's ridiculous amount of food, I was also given a couple of units of blood. Blood is wonderful stuff, it's no wonder athletes dope on it; I did my exercises today while the second pack was going in, and I would have just cycled forever if I hadn't been interrupted to eat more. If things keep going like that, I'll be fitter leaving this place than I ever was before.

Speaking of leaving, Dr Tansy had another chat with me about my treatment schedule; we didn't cover anything new, in particular, he was just keen to double-check that I understood the time-scales involved. Barring complications, my stem cell treatment has been pencilled-in for the end of February; everything up until then should just be one routine course of chemotherapy after another. Maybe I should get a hobby. A time-intensive one.

5 comments:

euan said...

Simon

I was just about to go and get some biscuits and cheese until I read your latest bulletin. Now I don't feel so hungry - you're eating enough for everyone.

All the very best

Eugene

James Deeny said...

I hope you can keep up the eating. All thhose milkshakes sound disgusting! Couldn't tey give you the menus from some take aways that do delivery.

Every best wish

James

DocMartin said...

Typical,
only the slim genes in the clan complain about having to eat so much....
I once went to Glenmore Lodge where I was told 'Its not food - its fuel!'
Compelling blog - keep it up Simon and make sure you fuel up.

From one of the clan with big bones.

euan said...

Simon
Your blog is also a useful means of me keeping tabs on Eugene-what does he mean he was just about to go and get some biscuits and cheese-it's no surprise that the mid-age spread is spreading quite in the way it is! CAUGHT!!
Have to agree with James'suggestion-I have seen Southern Gen food and although Govan is not quite the gastronomic capital that Rab C would have you believe there are a couple of good take aways.
Lots of love
Alison
Ps Euan wants to know if they give you Rennies?

vicki & david said...

Hey simon, great to hear you are eating enough for us all!!!! Following your blog every day, keep up the good work!!! Have to agree with alison, think eugene's caught the middle age thing, have you seen his pink jumper!!!!! Yes he really has one!!!! We do love him though, playing a gig tomorrow and will sing a song for you, thinking of you and will see you soon, we will eat cheese with eugene and his pink jumper!!!!! we await the next installment, lol Vicki & David xxxx