Friday 23 November 2007

Side-effects

Sorry I didn't post anything yesterday, I was without internet for most of Thursday evening after some fault on 3's end. It's okay though, I passed the time by reading Mister Pip, one of the better entries on this year's Booker list.

Anyway, side-effects: boy have these ever started. I've been noticing hair in the shower for the past week, just a little strand here and there, and on my towel after I've dried off. Yesterday, however, I found I'm able to tug out little clumps without really any effort at all; I can't imagine it'll be long before it starts shedding spontaneously. Oh well. I suppose I should have some wooly hats brought in and take up on the nurses' offer of a buzz-cut.

A more annoying effect I've started noticing, more insidious than the chemo-chic alopecia, is that my fingertips have started to tingle a little. Apparently this is due to vincristine attacking my peripheral nervous system, and should recover once this step of the treatment stops; I'll just need to put up with feeling clumsier for a month. My toes remain, for now, un-tingly.

Liz came to visit again today, after lunch, and we had the usual chat about how I'm getting on. We also talked about my internet access solution (3G broadband, I'm sure I've mentioned), and about the possibility of supplying internet access to people at the Beatson that way; it sounds like it would cut through a lot of the bureaucracy surrounding these things. I also mentioned this blog to her, though I don't know how long it'll take her to catch up through all of the interminable recapping.

In addition to my usual steroids and anti-everythings, I was given four units of plasma today; got to get my clotting up before the intramuscular asparaginase tomorrow. In addition to that, though, I got some beer! Nobody seems to have any objection to me drinking a little on my non-chemo days, so mum brought me up a bottle of Cobra to have with my chilli this evening. There's probably plenty of calories in beer, too, so even the dietician should be happy.

No comments: