Wednesday 28 November 2007

Getting there

I got a nice surprise today in the news that I wasn't due another of the dreaded intrathecal injections -- I'll have my third and final I.T. next Wednesday. This stage of treatment is almost complete, in fact: I have one more round of intravenous vincristine and daunarubicin tomorrow, then the methotrexane before a final dose of the 'cristine next Thursday. After that, all that's left is to grab some bone marrow samples and wait a week or two for my neutrophils to recover, and then I should be back home for a while. It'll be strange being outside, after I've got so used to this room.

But, I suppose it's long enough till I'm getting out that I really shouldn't be thinking about it. Only madness lies that way. To take my mind off of my now intrathecal-free hours, I tried in vain to finish Use of Weapons; I'd forgotten how long these science fiction books could be. I'll get through the final sixty or so pages in the morning. I made better progress in Zelda, as it happened, and am now on what I assume to be the final battle; at least, I'm chasing down/fighting a ship which seems to have been possessed by giant purple slug-monsters, and I'm pretty sure nothing's going to top that. Maybe I should take a break and get back to that in the morning, too.

Dad was up after his work and my dinner, and brought with him a vegetable crumble ready-meal thing which was neither microwavable for me nor vegan for him. I think mum might have that for her dinner tomorrow. Mum was up later on, though, and brought me a tub of soup and some rolls. The soup had six grams of salt in it, three per serving, but I was hungry enough to risk the kidney failure. She also brought up a spare roll of Kodak Tri-X film for me. This should probably should last quite a long time in here, which is just as well as the second roll she brought up was Ilford HP5 in the wholly unsuitable 120 format. Maybe I should buy a Holga to put it in. Or a Hasselblad.

Anyway, I was up terribly early this morning (didn't get back to sleep after having my blood drawn at 7am) and so find myself rather tired. I think I'll try and prune off another couple of pages of that Banks, then get some sleep.

No comments: