Saturday 17 November 2007

Recap IV

On Friday I was slated for Hickman line insertion, a more routine little surgery in which a tube is inserted into a big vein, snaked under my skin and allowed to exit in a more accessible anatomical location. In this way, twenty-four hours access is provided direct to my right jugular, through a couple of ports in my shoulder. Convenient! Downstairs to interventional radiology, a quick jab of lidocaine and a scrub down, and we were all set. Twenty minutes later I was coming around from my natural non-drug-induced (honestly) nap, and that was that; everything *seemed* to have gone in just fine.

Back upstairs, then, and... pretty much nothing, actually. The line was left to settle in, so I continued getting my fluids through the original drip line in my right arm, and I was left to spend the day reading The Gathering, this year's rather dreary Booker prizewinner. Maybe something interesting will happen on Saturday?

Or maybe that's a bad wish to make, in a hospital? Saturday morning, and it's time to put the line through its paces. It should be trivial, in theory, to extract blood from the line. Not so, in practice; apparently my line featured a kink, which necessitated all sorts of gymnastics and breathing exercises and coughing and stretching and waving my arms and maybe stretching again *just a little more* before the merest drop of blood would issue. Hardly ideal. Putting stuff in, though, was another matter; the sales pitch was spot-on in regards how easily I could now be hooked up with not one but two simultaneous infusions or transfusions or injections or *anything*. The wonders of modern technology.

The day's other wonder of modern technology, and a far more welcome one in my little one-room world of a book and a radio and a played-through video game, was a visit from the internet fairy. While I was fighting the Hickman line for enough blood for my tests, dad was braving the city centre in search of a 3G modem; fortune favoured, so by about two o'clock he and mum came up with a laptop and a connection to the outside world. To my credit, it only took until about four o'clock for me to resurface from email and IM for long enough to thank them.

Puncturing my reunion with the internet, literally, was a dose of a aspariginase, the fourth and final prong of my chemotherapy regime. Puncturing me in the hips, in fact; this one was administered intramuscularly to, I presume, spite me for being so happy with the Hickman line's promise of needle pricks no more. Side effects to watch out for: allergic reaction, treatable with antihistamine. Boring.

Laptop, internet, no allergic rashes, assurances granted by the University that my place will be available come September, back in contact with friends. A good day.

3 comments:

James Deeny said...

Simon Good to hear they are entertaining you. Whoknows what inteesting procedure they have up their sleeves for Monday.

I spoke to your Aunt Philomena from new York. She's praying for you like mad.

Not that you need a miracle, but if Margaret Sinclair gets a miracle out of this, will that make her a cybersaint!

Love to you Uncle James

matt said...

Bonjour Simon!

Matt here, International Man Of Mystery, (to avoid any doubt: ex-physics person).

Heard on the Grape Vine (Michelle) you were all cancered up, which is a bit shit and probably not the preferred circumstances in which to say hi.

Hope you're feeling slightly better after all that fun draining you, so vividly, described; and not getting too bored with all that feeling ill nonsense and being stuck in hospital. But, you know, don't think about it too much, that way madness lies.

Hopefully with access to the Internets you'll be able to keep yourself entertained. Also, if you have any spare moment you wish to fill, I am available to chat over said Internets, if you so wish.

Bonsoir, Matt.

The Mitchells said...

Simon
Your accounts are very detailed and we are amazed that you can spell everything-do you get the medics to detail spellings or are you just a natural genius as opposed to an annoying patient. Oh but of course it will be the genius genes!
The Mitchells are all rooting for you as are The Mackellars and The Cruickshanks-they are the Aberdeen cousins.
Lots of love
Eugene, Alison ,Neal, Euan and Liam
---oh and Tibbs