Thursday 29 November 2007

Conclusions and beginnings

It turns out that that fight with the slug-ship thingy was the final battle in Phantom Hourglass, after all. There's still some side-quests and the obligatory Zelda collect-fest to do before I can realy say I've completed it, but that's the end of the game proper. I'll need to find some other game to occupy myself with, now; maybe I'll get the new Pokémon next, that ought to waste a couple of weeks. I also managed, finally, to get through Use of Weapons; I actually quite enjoyed the book, but it's totally thrown my two-days-per-novel rhythm. I've started on Vernon God Little, 2003's Booker winner, which is a bit shorter and comes quite highly recommended; it's got to be better than this year's, anyway.

In more interesting news, I finally had my head shaved today; I decided I'd had enough of having to use three towels in the morning to get all of it off after showering. I've not had anything more extreme than the odd trim done to my hair since about 2003, so it's quite a change. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. Oh, yeah, and I was sure to take before and after pics; I'll post them later. I'm quite keen now for the last little bits to fall out, so I can see how I look completely bald; there's maybe another week to wait, for that, though I suppose I could hurry it along with a shaver.

I got my final dose of daunarubicin today, along with the penultimate vincristine. Mum had a read over the treatment protocol while she was up, but I stopped paying attention to her around about the hundred-week mark. Apparently I'll be getting quite a lot of something which was derived from Mustard gas, which sounds pretty awesome. I've no more treatments scheduled now 'till next Wednesday's intrathecal; we did, however, today set in motion the process of finding me an unrelated stem cell donor -- if the siblings don't come through for me, I'm now looking at an upwards of 80% chance of finding a suitable match. This is reassuring.

Anyway, I've been given a sleeping pill to experiment with tonight; might as well make the most of things while I have a pharmacy down the hall. Apparently there's a cannabis-based anti-emaciant pill available, but they'll only give me that if I get emaciated. Spoilsports.

1 comment:

Louie said...

Hi Simon. I'm a friend of your aunt Maggie's and have known your Mum and Dad too since they were wee - actually your dad used to throw cats in the air to see if they landed on all fours....you can ask him about it when you pass on my best wishes.
I have just read your ENTIRE blog in one sitting instead of working. I know a well-connected literary agent to help you publish it when you're better. It's made an impression on this near-stranger. Looking forward to the next installment.
Louie