Saturday 19 January 2008

Still nothing much going on, but at least I'm out

Wow, it's been almost a week since I last updated this. I've been allowed home between phases, just travelling in and out for bloods and so on, despite the fact that I'm still highly neutropenic — today's neutrophils were only at 0.1, so I was pretty surprised to have been let out at all. As with the break between phases I and II, the doctors are waiting for my marrow to recover and my counts to come up before launching into the next round of treatment; they don't have a particular date set, but hopefully it'll be some time early this week.

The only interesting medical thing that's happened recently is that I've had the results of my CT scan back. As expected, my lymph nodes have mostly reverted to their normal size in response to the steroids and chemotherapy. One slightly worrying feature on the films is a two-centimetre lump of something at the site where a lymph node should be; this could be a lymphoma, but is most likely a sort of scarring left over from when the leukaemia was working my lymph system over. The doctors will keep an eye on it, of course, but in the meantime it's encouraging that I'm not presenting any of the usual symptoms associated with dying of cancer; the consultants certainly don't seem to be treating this as anything to worry about.

I have to go into the hospital relatively early tomorrow morning, to get some platelets and a red cells transfusion, so I'd better get some sleep just now.

No comments: