Saturday 5 January 2008

I slept through almost the entire day, yesterday, only really waking up for visitors and when the nurses needed my attention. I was told in the morning that I was quite anaemic, and due some blood, which probably had a bit to do with my tiredness. Liz Watt came round to visit me in the afternoon, and brought me a book of photographs, Jiří Všetečka's The Walker of Prague, for Christmas. I've only quickly glanced through it, but it seems to be a mixture of shots of the architecture of the city's bridges and cathedral and so on, with some street photography from various periods thrown in. It's very nice.

As it happened, my blood never did show up. I had my cytarabine injection quite late on in the afternoon, through a peripheral line, but that was pretty much the extent of my treatment for the day. Sleeping so much was quite nice, it certainly made the time pass.

I spent much more of today awake, though presumably I'm even more anaemic than I was yesterday. I was up quite early in the morning too, having slept very well; in fact, I was turfed straight out of bed after my breakfast, so that the domestic staff could sort me out with fresh sheets. The shower was pretty cold, perhaps this contributed to my lack of sleepiness; I've yet to find out why the water is cold some days and warm on others.

My cytarabine was ready in the morning, so they dosed me up with that. Mum came to visit after lunch, and my blood finally arrived; they hooked me up and I settled down to a nap until dinner time. Dad visited after dinner, and made an attempt at the impossible puzzle which Francis gave me for Christmas. I don't know why he bothers; he gave up about nine o'clock and went home.

I'm quite tired again, in any event, so I think I might go to bed. Perhaps I'll watch the start of a movie before I sleep.

1 comment:

Helen said...

A belated happy New Year from everyone at no 10. Tried to give blood yesterday but the blood centre in Nelson Mandela Place closes at 3.00pm on a Saturday. Will try again - 3rd time lucky eh? Peter seems to be exhausted after tidying all the Christmas decorations away or maybe he is reflecting on the new school term? (naah nae chance).
Lots of love
Helen, Peter, Gran, Aunt Jean, Bubbles and Domino.