Tuesday 1 January 2008

Happy new year!

I was allowed out on Saturday night, but not until quite late; by the time we got home, I was too tired to do anything but go straight to bed. We went back in on Sunday for my bloods, and I got out a bit earlier; my dad wasn't home yet from his holiday to Uist, and mum had already left for hers, so my aunt Helen drove through to take me home. I went for a walk up to the supermarket where I used to work, but almost nobody was around; I picked up some mushrooms for a pizza and headed back down the road. My gran came down to visit for a while, and we had fishcakes and chips for our dinner. I got a bit tired afterwards, and went to bed.

On Monday I'd been told I was due to have a new Hickman line inserted, so we headed in quite early. Unfortunately, the radiology department decided that they didn't have a slot open, after all; the earliest I'll be able to get a new line will be next Tuesday, and there's some debate over whether there'll be any point in putting one in so late in the phase. I'll need a central line come stem cell transplant time, certainly, but the next phase (maintenance) only calls for a very few intravenous procedures; I'll decide later in the week whether to go ahead with having a new line implanted. The only other procedure prescribed for Monday was an injection of cytarabine, so I had a peripheral line put in. The chemotherapy was quite late in coming up, so it was about four o'clock before I was let out for the day. I made a pizza with the mushrooms I'd bought the day before, and ate it while watching Spartacus; afterwards, I went to my bed for a while. I woke up around ten o'clock and decided to stay awake for the couple of hours before the new year came in; I had a little champagne at the bells, and went back to bed.

We didn't need to go into the hospital at all this morning, so I woke up at nine o'clock and made myself an omelette for my breakfast. Dad woke up and got ready, and we went for a drive to the Burrell Collection. The museum was closed for the public holiday but the rain let up for a while, so we went for a short walk in the grounds instead. There were actually quite a lot of people out and about, considering it was New Year's Day. I was pretty worn out by the walk, so I went to sleep as soon as we got home. Dinner was at about four o'clock, so I was woken up for that; gran sent up some fish for us, which dad cooked with roast potatoes and peas and corn on the cob. I went back to bed for a while after this, while dad and Gabriel went up to John and Elaine's for the family New Year's party. I spent the rest of the day lazing about, upstairs and down in front of the television; it's getting quite late now, so I think I'll go back to bed. In early tomorrow.

3 comments:

euan said...

Simon
Happy new year to you too.
It doesn't necessarily reflect on your blog but there's an awful lot of people you don't know who are praying for you.
God bless
Eugene

Unknown said...

Happy New Year, Simon. I hope, and I'm sure, 2008 will a good year for you. I'm glad you got home for the bells.
Sorry you didn't make it round to John's but you've been to enough of our family gatherings to imagine what it was like - next year you can get some extra goes at charades to make up for missing out this year.

cheers
Clare and all at The Anchorage

James McShane said...

Simon,

Happy New Year


bit late as been back to the grind - apparantely the idea is you have to go back to work after the holidays - spoilsports !

Hope to see you soon

McShanes in Manchester