Sunday 27 April 2008

Exciting developments

The doctors are very happy with how well my engraftment process has gone; so much so, in fact, that they're now letting me out of the hospital during the day. I was initially released over dinnertime on Friday and, since then, I've been out from lunchtime yesterday and today. Unfortunately, I'm still not feeling anywhere near 100% — I've been very tired, amongst other things, and have generally been spending my time at home up in my bed. Nevertheless, it is nice to be out for a while. Perhaps I'll go for a little walk in the park later on, if the forbidden direct sunlight clears off for a while.

Even better than being out on day pass, the staff are now talking in terms of when I might assume outpatient status, and check out permanently. From the sounds of things, I should be out within the fortnight, assuming I stay infection free and assuming my counts continue behaving the way they have been. This is a lot earlier than we'd expected; mum thought I'd be in for somewhere in the region of six to eight weeks post-transplant. While on the one hand this is obviously great news, on the other it makes it seem less likely that I'll be able to collect enough photos of the staff on ward B8 to make a proper attempt at an album of my time there, which is a pity. Perhaps I'll manage over the next week or so, now that I'm feeling a little more energetic, but I fear the staff rotas might make it impossible to meet enough people over such a short period. Oh well.

Anyway, as I've said, I have been feeling a little under the weather despite my enviable blood counts. I'll take a nap just now and see how I feel a little later on, maybe take that walk then.

2 comments:

michie said...

amazing:)

Lithgo said...

really great news man

DavidF