Sunday 20 April 2008

Par for the course

Well, it seems I've finally developed the little infection I've been being threatened with since my counts started falling. Actually it's surprising I held out so long; my neutrophils are at 0.01 billion per litre, which is rather below the normal range of 2-7bpl. I've been on gentamicin and some other broad-spectrum antibiotic for the past couple of days, only to be informed this evening (on return of my blood cultures) that my bug is a resistant streptococcus; the broad-spectrum drugs are no good for it, so they've put me on something new for the remainder of the week.

There's not a lot else to report, really. I've been having some very odd dreams brought on by the hallucinogenic properties of the morphine I've had for my mouth pain, but apparently this is perfectly normal; the nurses told me not to be too worried about thinking I was going mad or anything like that. Speaking of morphine, the consultant told me this morning that she thinks my mouth should start feeling a bit better over the next couple of days, due to the methotrexate I'd been on finally wearing off, which is very welcome news. Maybe soon I'll be able to get back to eating solid food. For now, though, I'm happy enough sticking with my calorie milkshakes and sleeping a lot.

Good night, for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Simon,
Good news about your mouth but not so good to have bad dreams - you only deserve sweet ones - if you don't get good ones when your sleeping maybe you should think up good ones when you are awake - what would you dream about if you could choose?

Hoping you beat off this infection fast
Clare and All at The Anchorage